Thursday, March 3, 2022

Finishing our rough draft

Big Idea: What does food tell us about ourselves.

Learning Target: How should we "eat responsibly"?

Reading: You will read your independent reading book for ten minutes. You should finish your next book by March 25th.



Agenda:

  1. Essay Topic: 
    1. In response to the many articles you read in this module, write an essay in which you argue how you can "eat more responsibly."
  2. Today you will get a grade for having at least two body paragraphs that are 8-10 sentences in length. For your final grade on the essay you will need:
    1. Two body paragraphs if you want a C+/B-, three body paragraphs for B+/A-, and more than three paragraphs for an A/A+.
Tools for writing body paragraphs:
  1. Each body paragraph must have one quote from one of the sources we have read..
    1. Expert’s (or publication’s) Name), a (credentials that suggest validity), (choose one: argues, presents, details, theorizes, refutes, challenges, exposes, (anything but “says,” “states,” or “claims”)) (flow “into the less than 13 words you intend on quoting” (Citation)); however, it must be admitted that (insert a point of concession in relation to the sources argument).
    2. Example: Wendell Berry, an American cultural critic, exposes that for the American consumer "food is pretty much an abstract idea" (Berry 4).
  2. Write one or two body paragraphs. Remember a paragraph has three parts. Your longest part should be your evidence. Your final two sentences should connect your evidence to your first premise.
    1. Problem-solution pattern
      1. Many people are ignorant of what chemicals are added to their food to keep it fresh. Frequently, I eat food that tastes good, giving no thought to what is in it and not truly taking the time to enjoy it. If I make my own food, then I can avoid many of these harmful substances and take pleasure in eating something I prepared myself.
        1. Cookies- trans fats
        2. Amatriciana - enjoy it because I know all the ingredients
    2. Choice - benefit
      1. If I make my own food, I am more aware of what ingredients are being added. Also, if I prepare it myself I have to put effort into my meal, and human beings always find more pleasure in an activity that requires effort.
        1. Amatriciana- taste each ingredient
        2. Cookies - I can add real sugar instead of HFC or trans fats.
Articles we read about food:

Success Criteria:

I can make connections between important ideas on the same topic.


Homework:
  1. None

No comments:

Post a Comment